DROP and GO Policy
The Livestock Auctioneers Association have been consulting with DEFRA and Ministers regarding the operation of markets and the important role Livestock Markets play in the food supply chain.
All Livestock Markets must adhere to the Social distancing measures announced by the Government. This means the limiting of the number of people attending sales. Crowding of people must stop.
Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on 23rd March DEFRA have confirmed that the following is the basis upon which markets are to operate:
- Livestock Vendors can deliver animals to the market unloading docks. No entry to the main market area, pens or sales ring is permitted.
- Livestock Vendors to provide sale documentation to the Auctioneers or Market Staff. Vendors MUST NOT take the paperwork to the market office or enter the market pennage area for any reason.
- Only Buyers will be permitted into the main market area, pens and sales ring.
- All Buyers must register on the forms provided prior to entry into the main market area and provide contact name, address and telephone number.
- Buyers are to observe the Social Distancing Guidance standing or sitting 2m apart at all times in all areas of the market.
- At the conclusion of the sale, Buyers MUST ensure that they observe social distancing in the sales office area in a way to prevents crowding.
It is imperative the above is implemented and adhered to so that the ‘Key Workers’ status is retained to enable Livestock Markets to continue to operate.
Planning the marketing of your livestock
As part of the critical food industry in these difficult days, we want to plan and control our market operations as efficiently and safely as possible for the sake of us all – vendors, purchasers, hauliers and market staff.
- Please advise us of your plans and numbers if you intend to sell stock.
- Please liaise with and help your hauliers with early collections.
- Please help market staff with fully completed entry forms with ear numbers listed in numeric order to speed up processing. With big loads please split heifers and steers on entry forms.
Preventing the spread of Coronavirus
- Please make sure that you wash your hands regularly and before attending our sales office.
- Please keep your distance from others including our auctioneers and staff.
- We will provide updates via our printed weekly sales news and emails.
Please make sure you have signed up for our email alerts here.